Monday, April 28, 2008

Vista SP1 Woes

Say what you will about Vista but besides being an absolute resource hog and some file transfer issues it has performed OK. Having said that though I will add that any OS that needs 600+ megs just to load is needless bloat ware. But alas I digress. I have tried to install SP1 about 9 or 10 times. My first few attempts where on my own and searching the net for solutions. The last few have been with email help from Microsoft. After 4 more tries with solutions from them I am beginning to find it all just a little bit much. No service pack should give you this much grief. There is nothing special about my machine. Acer 5630 Core 2 Duo 1.66 2 gig ram 160 Nvidia Go 7300. The only thing unusual is perhaps that it dual boots Linux Mint. At this point I am waiting for a reply from Microsoft after sending some log files. My wife runs a Mac Book with Parallels and had no issues installing the SP. It must be embarrassing for Redmond to have to create a whole team to help us "common folks" install their patch. I have been working with "Gillian" he answers back every fews days with a few more "solutions" to help me have a safer more enjoyable computing experience. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

No comments: